30th Annual Government Small Business Conference:

Game Plan for Federal Contracting

The 30th Annual Government Small Business Conference: Game Plan for Federal Contracting SBDC
Date: Friday, May 5, 2017
Time: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Location: Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore, 700 N. Westshore Blvd, Tampa, FL 33609

Register Online

 

Early Bird Cost: $149 (Save more than $75!)
Early Bird Registration Deadline: Friday, April 14, 2017

The 30th Annual Government Small Business Conference: Game Plan for Federal Contracting is a unique conference for small business owners to learn how to optimize business opportunities through informative workshops, panel discussions, and a Business Opportunity Expo featuring federal agencies.

In addition to workshops and panel discussions, the afternoon will feature a Small Business Awards luncheon, with a prominent keynote speaker, to be announced.

The road to securing federal government contracts can be a tough one. This conference will assist small business owners in creating a game plan to increase their contracting opportunities via education and networking.

Tentative Agenda

8-8:30 a.m. – Registration and Networking

8:35-9:45 a.m. – Opening Keynote by Scott Algeier (read bio)

Cybersecurity Requirements for Small Business Federal Contractors
The dangers of the digital world are well-documented, from political hacking to cyber espionage.   Every business, large or small, understands that they need to “do something” to decrease their vulnerability, but when they are contractors with the Federal Government, WHAT are those items, specifically?  In this session, Mr. Algeier will outline key cybersecurity strategies that could not only make or break a company’s success in general, but also key cyber compliance steps to becoming a qualified respondent to a Federal requirement.

10-10:50 a.m. – Workshops/Panel Discussions

Option #1: 10 Steps to Becoming a Federal Contractor One Percenter
Are you, or do you want to be a federal contractor? If so, the good news is that the federal government awarded more than $471 billion in contracts in 2016, making it the largest purchaser on the planet. And its mandate to follow strict procurement guidelines also places it among the most transparent buyers in the world.

The not-so-good news? According to USASpending.gov, the top 1 percent of nearly ten thousand federal contractors has won more than half of the business over the past five years. That leaves the bottom 99%, and potentially twice that many, who took a swing and missed, to slug it out for the remaining $200+ billion leftover (not exactly table scraps).

So how do you stop fighting for the leftovers and take a seat at the table?

Speaker: Dr. Sherilyn Dougherty , CEO, DAI Solutions, Inc.

Option #2:  DCAA Overview and Resources Available for Small Businesses
The Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) provides audit and financial advisory services to Department of Defense (DoD) and other federal entities responsible for acquisition and contract administration. DCAA operates under the authority, direction, and control of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller)/Chief Financial Officer.

The presentation will provide an overview of the Defense Contract Audit Agency including the responsibilities and duties.  The types of DCAA audits can that can be performed throughout the various phases of a contract will be discussed.  Participants will learn about the DCAA Internet resources and tools that are available.

Speaker: Karen Beckman, Financial Liaison Advisor (FLA), HQ Defense Contract Audit Agency

11-11:50 a.m. – Workshops/Panel Discussions

Option #1: SBA Mentor Protégé program
Is your small business part of SBA’s 8(a) Business Development Program? Have you considered entering the Mentor-Protégé Program to develop your business and compete more successfully for federal government contracts? As either the mentor or the protégé, there’s a lot to be gained from participating.
Speaker: Holly Shick, Director, All Small Mentor Protégé Program, Office of Government Contracting/Business Development

Option #2: Doing Business with DoD
Moderator: Chris Harrington, Director, SB Programs, SOCOM
Panelists: Larry Clegg, General Dynamics; Program Manager and Contracting Officer from SOCOM to be announced

12-1:30 p.m. – Small Business Awards Luncheon and Keynote

1:30-5 p.m. Business Opportunity Expo

Business Opportunity Expo Exhibitors

  • ACOE
  • NASA
  • SBA
  • SOCOM
  • Veterans Administration
  • 6th Contracting Squadron

Silver Sponsor

General Dynamics

Breakfast Sponsor

Nielson

Refreshment Sponsor

Sponsor

/* ]]> */