US Senator Bill Nelson talks about value of small businesses
U.S. Senator Bill Nelson explains the value of small businesses for the future of Florida’s economy and the crucial role that Florida Small Business Development Centers play for their success. Watch the video for details.
“Small businesses are essential to providing the goods, services, & jobs that so many Florida communities are in need of right now,” Senator Nelson explained, as he expressed his gratitude to the Small Business Development Center for enabling these small business owners with the tools that they need to succeed. Florida entrepreneurs, running new & expanding businesses, can find training, resources, & free counseling from local SBDC’s, all across Florida. Entrepreneurs can start receiving these valuable services by simply contacting the nearest SBDC in Florida.
Small Business Development In Tough Economic Times
Senator Nelson noted that, “Small businesses are the main economic driver in Florida & the backbone of our economy. They are the key part of getting our country back on our economic track!” Indeed, small businesses are crucial to igniting the kind of economic fire that Florida & the US needs.
According to the SBA, Small firms:
- Represent 99.7 percent of all employer firms.
- Employ over half of all private sector employees.
- Pay nearly half of total U.S. private payroll.
- Have generated well over half of net new jobs over the past 15 years.
- Create more than half of the nonfarm private gross domestic product (GDP).
- Hire nearly half of all high tech workers (i.e. scientists, engineers, & computer programmers).
- Made up 97.3 percent of all identified exporters and produced 30.2 percent of the known export value in FY 2007.
- Produce 13 times more patents per employee than large patenting firms; these patents are twice as likely as large firm patents to be among the one percent most cited.
Sources (SBA – http://www.sba.gov/advocacy/7495/8420)
Senator Nelson Is Devoted To the Small Business Entrepreneur
Senator Nelson has supported many bills that aim to help small business owners. These bills included measures to provide affordable healthcare to small businesses, eliminate estate tax on certain small businesses and family owned farms, support small business owners after devastation associated with Florida hurricanes, & support small farmers & ranchers. As a result, Senator Nelson was awarded the Dividend$ Award for supporting economic development via small business growth.