by Bradley Mix | January 31, 2024
In the competitive landscape of business, companies are constantly seeking innovative ways to enhance customer satisfaction and drive sales. One effective strategy is the implementation of dealer arranged financing programs. This article explores the dynamics of dealer arranged financing, its benefits, and provides a step-by-step guide on how companies can successfully establish such programs.
Understanding Dealer Arranged Financing
Dealer arranged financing, also known as dealer-assisted financing, is a financial option offered by businesses to customers looking to make significant purchases. This can include anything from cars and electronics to furniture. The process involves the customer choosing a financing option provided by the retailer or dealership, which may be in the form of a loan, lease, or installment plan. The business often partners with financial institutions or lenders to facilitate the financing, conducting credit checks and approving applications based on the customer’s creditworthiness.
Benefits of Dealer Arranged Financing
- Convenience: Dealer arranged financing streamlines the purchasing process, offering customers a convenient way to finance their purchases at the point of sale.
- Access to High-Ticket Items: Customers gain access to high-ticket items they might not afford outright, broadening their purchasing possibilities.
- Competitive Terms: Businesses can negotiate favorable financing terms with lenders, resulting in competitive interest rates and attractive loan or lease terms for customers.
- Increased Sales: Offering financing options can attract customers who prefer such arrangements, potentially leading to larger purchases and increased sales.
- Customer Loyalty: Providing financing options enhances customer loyalty by offering a flexible and convenient payment method, encouraging repeat business.
- Additional Revenue: Businesses may receive fees or commissions from the financing provider, contributing to additional revenue streams.
- Competitive Advantage: Offering financing sets businesses apart from competitors, making them more attractive to potential customers.
- Streamlined Process: Financing programs simplify the buying process for customers, making it easier for them to afford products.
- Higher Ticket Sales: Customers are more likely to purchase higher-priced items when financing is available, boosting average transaction values.
Establishing a Financing Program
There are finance companies that specialize in dealer arranged financing programs. They play a crucial role in facilitating collaboration between retailers, dealerships, or businesses, and their customers. These finance companies are equipped to provide the necessary capital, expertise, and infrastructure to make the financing process seamless and efficient for both the business offering the financing and the end customers. Here’s an explanation of how these specialized finance companies operate:
- Expertise in Specific Industries: Finance companies specializing in dealer arranged financing often focus on specific industries or sectors, such as automotive, electronics, home appliances, or even niche markets like restaurant equipment and supplies. Their industry-specific expertise allows them to tailor financing solutions to meet the unique needs and challenges of businesses in those sectors.
- Understanding of Customer Behavior: These finance companies have a deep understanding of customer behavior within the chosen industry. They are familiar with the purchasing patterns, preferences, and financial considerations that customers in that sector typically have. This knowledge allows them to create financing programs that align with customer expectations.
- Established Relationships with Dealerships and Retailers: Specialized finance companies often have established relationships with a network of dealerships and retailers. These relationships are built on trust and a mutual understanding of the industry dynamics. Such partnerships enable seamless collaboration and communication between the finance company and the businesses offering the financing.
- Tailored Financing Programs: These finance companies design financing programs that cater to the specific needs of the businesses they work with. Whether it’s offering competitive interest rates, flexible repayment terms, or specialized financing products like leases or installment plans, these programs are crafted to enhance the attractiveness of dealer arranged financing for both businesses and customers.
- Risk Assessment and Credit Underwriting: Finance companies specializing in dealer arranged financing typically have sophisticated risk assessment and credit underwriting processes. They assess the creditworthiness of customers applying for financing, taking into account factors such as credit history, income, and other relevant financial information. This helps determine the terms of the financing, including interest rates and repayment schedules.
- Streamlined Application and Approval Process: These finance companies streamline the application and approval process for both businesses and customers. They may offer digital platforms and tools that make it easy for customers to apply for financing, and they ensure a quick turnaround time for approval, allowing businesses to close sales promptly.
- Compliance with Regulations: Finance companies understand the regulatory landscape and ensure that their dealer arranged financing programs comply with federal and state regulations governing consumer lending. This includes adherence to laws such as the Truth in Lending Act (TILA) and Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA).
- Providing Capital to Businesses: One of the key roles of these finance companies is to provide the necessary capital to businesses offering dealer arranged financing. This capital allows retailers and dealerships to extend credit to their customers, facilitating the purchase of high-ticket items and boosting overall sales.
- Customer Support and Education: Many specialized finance companies offer robust customer support services to assist both businesses and end customers. This may include educating customers about the financing options available, helping them understand the application process, and addressing any inquiries or concerns.
- Technology Integration: To enhance efficiency, these finance companies often integrate advanced technologies into their processes. This may involve the use of digital platforms for application submissions, online credit checks, and electronic documentation, streamlining the entire financing process.
Finance companies specializing in dealer arranged financing programs contribute to the success of businesses by providing tailored financing solutions, managing risk, ensuring compliance, and supporting a smooth and efficient financing process. Their industry-specific knowledge and established partnerships make them valuable collaborators for businesses looking to enhance their sales through effective financing options. In part two of this article series, we discuss the benefits of marketing a dealer arranged finance program.
Part Two: A Guide to Implementing Dealer Arranged Financing Programs